When it comes to non-surgical aesthetic procedures, there are two types of patients that prefer different procedures: those that want non-invasive treatments and those that do not mind about needles poking through their skin.
This article puts the spotlight on High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound or HIFU in short. In Singapore’s premium aesthetic clinics like Cambridge Medical Group, HIFU treatments are a popular choice among people that seek a way to restore their facial skin’s youthful appearance but are wary of needles and scalpels. There is nothing wrong with feeling faint at the sight of medical tools that cut through the skin, so if you belong to that group and are looking for an effective non-surgical and non-invasive treatment to treat your sagging and loose skin, then treatment with HIFU in Singapore might just be the way out for you. Read on.
What is HIFU?
High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound, or HIFU, is a non-surgical and non-invasive procedure for skin firming that uses ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen production. Collagen is a natural component of the skin that works to make it firm and improve its elasticity.
The procedure uses a handheld device held against a target area of the skin that releases ultrasound energy. This focused energy rapidly heats up the underlying layers of the skin and, upon reaching a specific temperature, causes damage to the skin cells. This can seem negative, but the damage brought to the cells actually enables it to generate collagen. This process of new collagen production then leaves the skin tighter and smoother, thus reducing fine lines, wrinkles, and gives the top layer of the skin a lifting effect.
Is HIFU treatment applicable for all?
Unfortunately, HIFU is not applicable and effective for all people. To know whether you are a suitable candidate, you must:
- Be over 30 years of age
- Have mild to moderate skin sagging
- Have no open skin injury, wounds, or existing acne on the treatment area
- Have no metallic implants near or within the treatment area
- Have skin that is not photo-damaged
What parts of the body can HIFU be used to improve the skin?
HIFU can be used on the following parts of the body:
What are the improvements that HIFU can bring to the skin?
HIFU can effectively improve the skin by:
- Allowing production of collagen to commence
- Enhance the contour of the jawline
- Lessen the appearance of fine lines
- Lifting of sagging skin
- Reduce wrinkles
- Smoothen the skin
- Tightening of the décolletage
What are the things to be considered when getting a HIFU treatment in Singapore?
There are a lot of clinics and beauty spas or salons offering HIFU treatments. A warning that patients should take heed of: not all HIFU treatments are actually authentic. This is crucial to one’s treatment as the devices used for HIFU procedures are powerful and any wrong administration can seriously damage one’s skin.
Prior to booking a HIFU session, be sure to do ample research. When looking for a HIFU provider, consider the following:
- The authenticity of the device – HIFU treatments that use the authentic device are tagged at a higher price. This is because a HIFU machine is very expensive. The popular brands of HIFU device in Singapore are Ulthera, Ultraformer, and Sygmalift HIFU.
- Costs – As mentioned, the brand of the HIFU device will affect its cost. A full-face HIFU treatment will range from $500 to $5,000 depending on the brand of HIFU device used. Anything below this price range is doubtful.
- Doctor’s knowledge, experience, and skill – Doctors that are highly skilled in performing HIFU treatments have their own methods in using the device effectively to achieve optimum face lifting results. Also, HIFU should not be applied to candidates that are not suitable to undergo the treatment—and expert doctor should be able to give a patient proper advice when it comes to this. Do ask whether the doctor is the one personally conducting the procedure as this type of treatment should only be carried out by medical professionals who are authorised to operate the machine.
Are there any side effects following a HIFU treatment?
Side effects are no strangers when it comes to any aesthetic treatment. Following a HIFU treatment, some side effects can be expected, such as bruising, minor redness, and inflammation on the treated area. There may also be loss of sensation or numbness. These are all temporary and should subside after a few days.
What foods are best to eat while recovering from a HIFU procedure?
Keeping your skin hydrated at all times is vital during your recovery period. Likewise, foods that aid the skin in producing collagen can further improve its appearance. Be sure to include fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants (e.g. kale, spinach, berries), vitamin A (e.g. carrots, squash), and vitamin C (e.g. bell peppers, tomatoes, broccoli).
Cambridge Medical Group
91B Orchard Road, #08-05A1,
Tower B, Ngee Ann City, Singapore 238874
+65 6733 0777