Battling with acne is just as rough as having those icky pimples and cystic bumps plague your skin. Teenage years can be the toughest for some people who have experienced this torment early on. Others face the war on acne in their adulthood—talk about having a midlife crisis!
The fact that you are reading this article would tell that you have finally passed that stage and are now ready to move on to another phase that may be as equally challenging as the first. That pesky acne condition would not just leave you alone—it had to leave behind some remembrance: ACNE SCARS!
You are not alone in your quest to find the best acne scar treatment in Singapore. For sure a lot of people in Singapore are, right at this instant, searching the Internet for the best scar treatment they could find to get rid of their facial scars. Well, you’ve come to the right place! We talked to Dr Chua Cheng Yu and with his invaluable help and advice, we wrote this article to give you the scoop on the latest and most effective acne scar treatments available in Singapore. Also, read on to learn about foods that can help your skin recover quickly following an acne scar treatment!
“Let food be thy medicine…” – Hippocrates
Food should be our friends, not enemies. When it comes to acne scars, including the right kinds of foods into your diet following treatment can bring a great impact to your period of recovery. Nothing is much better than getting your body’s needed vitamins and nutrition straight from the source—fruits, veggies, and fish! Here are some items of what you need to get on that next grocery shopping list for your post-acne treatment food regimen:
- Foods rich in Vitamin A – Retinol, one of the most popular components of skincare products, is drawn from vitamin A. This vitamin works to get rid of acne and keep wrinkles away. When looking for fruits and vegetables rich in Beta-carotene pan your eyes to a loud, but proud colour: Orange!
What to include on your food list – Sweet potato, carrots, papaya
- Foods rich in antioxidants – Antioxidants help the skin by reducing hyperpigmentation and preventing dark spots to develop. Loading up on foods rich with antioxidants will balance your skin tone.
What to include on your food list – Kale, salmon
- Foods rich in Vitamin C – Collagen is an important component of the skin as its production helps improve acne scars quicker by multiplying the rate of the cell turnover. Vitamin C promotes collagen generation and bumps off blotches on the skin.
What to include on your food list – Bell peppers, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kiwi, lemon, papaya
- Foods rich in fibre – Unknown to a lot of people, consuming food that is fibre-rich actually does a lot of benefit to the body. Digesting fibrous foods enables the body to do a total cleanse by not having constipation. Being able to release waste on a regular basis clears the skin and lessens the appearance of dark marks.
What to include on your food list – Kale, quinoa, pumpkin
- Foods that are low-glycemic – Maintaining blood sugar at just the right level helps in calming the skin from pimple breakouts. Exchange white carbs and chocolates for foods that are low-glycemic and your skin (and body!) will definitely thank you.
What to include on your food list – Chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, peanuts
Now that you know what the best foods to eat to help improve those acne scars, let us proceed to discuss the options that are available for acne scar treatment in Singapore.
Know your enemy: Types of Acne Scars
Before moving on to the different treatments, it is important to learn more about acne scars. Acne scars can be seen as either skin depressions or elevations. Cystic acne or pustular acne that is inflamed is the culprit of acne scars. The inflammations of these pimples go deep into the skin, resulting in scarring once they are healed. Depressed acne scars can be boxcar scars, ice pick scars, or rolling scars. Elevated acne scars can be keloid acne scars or hypertrophic scars.
Acne scars are permanent, unlike acne marks that can disappear within 3 to 6 months. Acne marks are totally different from scars. This type of skin condition appear as a dark coloured blemish, usually red or brown in colour after a pimple has healed.
Choose your weapon: Acne Scar Treatments
There are different kinds of acne scar treatments that can be used to remove acne scars. The list includes the following:
- Chemical peels
- Dermal fillers
- Fractional micro-needling radio frequency
Chemical peels best treat ice pick scars. A method called TCA CROSS uses a solution that is very effective in promoting collagen production. It works by using a needle to put the TCA solution deep into the acne scar. Once the TCA solution activates collagen production, the process commences and results in levelling out the scar.
Dermal fillers work by being injected into the hollow portion of the scar in order to fill the area and elevate the skin. They can address acne scars that are broad-based and shallow. Although effective, dermal fillers are temporary and will need to be repeated to maintain results.
Fractional micro-needling radiofrequency stimulates collagen production and skin reformation as tiny needles deliver heat energy into the skin. Atrophic, mixed, rolling, and tethered scars respond best to this type of treatment.
Lasers are powerful devices that use energy-charged light beams to resurface fresh skin and reduce the appearance of acne scars. The most common laser used for acne scar treatment in Singapore is the Fractional C02 laser. This is best used for atrophic scars. Pico + Hexa MLA lasers are effective for treating acne scars that are deep and shallow.
Subcision makes use of a small needle that is inserted into the skin to release the fibrous scar tissue that holds the skin down, forming the scar. The treated area then heals and generates collagen that helps in elevating the depressed portion of the scar to the surface.
Dr Chua Cheng Yu
13 Stamford Rd, #B2-35 Capitol Piazza,
+65 8129 9789